Wednesday, January 9, 2008

6 inches of new snow overnight, 15 feet this season!

SNOW: 6" (24 hrs); 9" (48 hrs); Base: 52"; Total: 190"
CONDITIONS: Powder!
LIFTS: 16/18
TRAILS: 160/165
TEMP: 30/7

More than 15 feet of new snow has fallen at Steamboat this season! In fact, it has snowed 36 out of 49 days since Nov. 21st. The forecast continues to call for snow this week with Steamboat in very active weather pattern.
I managed to sneak in three runs this morning on the Steamboat Ski Resort. The first run down Rudi's was not spectacular. It was a little hard and scaped away. I was a little dismayed... but the surprize awaited. I found untracked snow down Storm Peak Face; knee-deep powder in Triangle; and excellent conditions down one of my favorites, Cyclone.
Each year I seem to find a different favorite run. The first year it was West Side. I was not yet an advanced skier, and I loved the intimdating vertical on this run, as well as the incredible views of the Yampa Valley. During the epic 05/06 435-inch season, I had many memorable days on Rolex. Last year work commitments kept me in the office, so I was not skiing as often. Hence, I had to seek out the very last stashes in the trees alongside the Sunshine Lift Line trail. This year, without a doubt, I keep migrating to Sideburn. Sideburn is tucked on the edge of the infamous Shadows and Closets tree run, but is a little more open and spits you in and out of some meadows. Today, once again, Sideburn surprized me with some untracked snow.
I wish I had had all day to ski, to have time to stop for a Hot Chocolate, and end the day with Apres ski drinks at Slopeside Bar and Grill. I may not have been lucky enough to ski all day, but I was blessed to ski the few excellent runs that I could squeeze in.
The National Weather Service in Grand Junction has issued a snow advisory warning for Northwest Colorado and is forecasting up to 10 inches in Steamboat Springs. “A strong winter storm will continue to bring snow to the region through this evening,” reads the warning issued Wednesday. Read the full Steamboat Today Article...

No comments: