Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Winter storm warning for Steamboat until 6pm Wed. 33" & counting!

Forget about putting spring wax on your skis because the Steamboat Ski Area is boasting over 33 inches of fresh powder snow in 48 hours. In the past 7 days we have received over 63 inches of new snow. So far this year we have received 368", exceeding our annual snowfall average of around 335".

I can always tell a good powder day by the snow on my car. If I can open my car door slightly and slam it to release ALL the snow on my car, I know it is going to be a very special champagney snow day! And that's just how my day powder started...

With more than 30 feet of snow this winter, Steamboat has reached another snow milestone, recording a four-wire winter, when the snow stacks up past the fourth row of fence wires. Yampa Valley ranchers have traditionally measured the severity of a Routt County winter by how high the snow stacks up against their four fence wires.

Snow is expected through Wednesday afternoon!

(Photo provided by Larry Pierce of the Steamboat Ski Area)

No comments: