Tuesday, May 25, 2010

When to Teach Your Child To Ski or Snowboard.

When I was about two years old, I remember stepping into my first pair of skis. Back then the newest technology in kids performance gear was a sweet pair of red plastic skis, a pair of boots that were way too big and my dad equipped with a thick old rope tied around my waist. And it was complete with my private ski hill- our very steep driveway!

Things have changed a bit these days and the starting age for getting kids out skiing and boarding has become younger and younger. And forget about those old plastic skis! Now companies like Volkl, Rossignol, and others make skis tiny enough for the wee beginners starting at 60+ cm. You don’t have to tie your kid up anymore but rather fit them with a great and comfy harness. And if you can’t do all the teaching, Steamboat Ski Resort along with most ski resorts have great lessons designed just for the kids.

Check out this little girl in Mammoth, CA who can’t get enough bunny runs on her Snowboard!



So what about the age thing? There really is not a set age that determines when a child can begin to ski or board. It is highly dependent on the child and your setting. Most say the earlier the better. Ava's mom is all for this philosophy! As soon as they can walk, start to get them familiar with the equipment and the feeling of moving on snow. Not all kids will be born yearning for snow however it will make the learning curve easier if they start out younger!

Check out these resources for determining how to get your child started:

3 comments:

Katy Martin said...

Love it! This video is fabulous. I learned to ski in Australia (yes, there are skiable mountains!) when I was 4. Back in 1984, skis did not have 'brakes' on them, so when the ski was put on the ground, you had to make sure you clamped your foot in pretty quick, before it slid away... down the hill and into the creek, as was my first experience skiing. Icicle ski aside, my first ski vacation is the first family 'holiday' I can remember, and definitely some of my fondest childhood memories.

Mariah said...

I learned to cross country ski in Finland at the age of one! My dad was an avid skier and still today races in the Seniors 85year old category! He wanted his children to grow up with the sport he had always loved.

Me and my five siblings all started with the same pair of old wooden Karhu skis tied to our snowboots. Love/hate relationship if I have ever witnessed one! I fell in love even though my first ski photo shows tears running down my frozen face : )

The age to learn is definitely individual - My seven year old just finished his sixth season on skis as my four year old could care less. His snow sport of choice is sledding and snowball fights!

Cat Skiing said...

While skiing you are always at risk. I would suggest skiing should be in teenage or after.