Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It's Ho-Ho-Holiday Season!




SNOW: 1"(24 hrs); 1" (48 hrs); Base: 28"; Total: 92"
CONDITIONS: Packed Powder
LIFTS: 10/18
TRAILS: 80/165

I am writing from my office, staring gloomily outside my window at the BIG FAT FLUFFY flakes falling over the Torian Plum sign. We had a dusting of 1 inch of snow last night. Not much, but if this keeps up, tomorrow could be a glorious powder day!

I have to be honest and say that I haven't skied the last few days. Reports from my fellow ski bums indicate that the conditions are great up on the ski area. Those big storms from the past few weeks have ensured an excellent base for the holiday season and on into the peak season.

I did ski, however, over the weekend. Two exquisite bluebird days. I found myself mesmerized by the views of downtown Steamboat Springs and the Sleeping Giant, or across the Yampa Valley floor to the Flat Tops. Perfect groomers and a picturesque landscape. It doesn't get much better than this.

On that note, I would also like to have a rant. Apparently other people around me were intoxicated by the views aswell because I was cut-off several by other skiers. I have one favor to ask of all my fellow skiers and boarders: Skiing is like driving. If you make a lane change, you should always check that you are not going to crash into another car. The same goes for skiing. Please be aware of people around you. It's that simple.