Sunday, December 9, 2007

Unexpected Powder Day!

SNOW: 3"(24 hrs); 8" (48 hrs); Base: 29"; Total: 71"
CONDITIONS: Powder/Packed Powder
LIFTS: 8/18
TRAILS: 40/165







Today was an unexpected powder day.

I skied yesterday, excited about the opening of Storm Peak express and the new terrain that opened with it. Saturday was a perfect day for skiing with friends and an opportunity to work on building up our skiing stamina. The conditions are good; easy carving on the groomers.

Today I had planned to ski for only an hour or so. 3 inches of new snow is nothing spectacular and other mundane tasks beckoned my attention. Just as my hour was nearing its end, we hopped off the top of Storm Peak lift only to spot one of Steamboat's ski patrollers skiing away with the ropes and signs that had closed the Sunshine Bowl area.

We headed over to One O'clock and discoverd untouched ski runs with about 6-8 inches of fresh powder. This is what I live for. This is why I live in Steamboat.

We charged into the powder, only stopping to see if anyone else was wearing the same goofy grin. We couldn't believe our luck! Three laps later, my legs were exhausted and my stomach growled, so we decided to leave the last few stashes for someone else to enjoy. My season has officially commenced!


No comments: