Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Santa Gives Steamboat 19" in 24 hours



SNOW: 19" (24 hrs); 23" (48 hrs); Base: 52"; Total: 133"
CONDITIONS: Powder!!!
LIFTS: 16/18
TRAILS: 146/165

Today was epic! Definitely one of my top 10 days, ever.
As I skied on to Storm Peak lift, someone behind me remarked, "Someone must have asked Santa for a powder day." That someone must have been a good person.
11 inches of snow fell after the ski resort closed yesterday. Skiers and boarders were "whooping and hollering" all over the mountain. For me, carols echoed in my head all day "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..." "[skiing] in a winter wonderland..." "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..."
I headed to Sideburn first and to my disbelief had untracked thigh-deep powder the whole way. In my seven seasons, I have never had this kind of luck. There were epic stashes waiting all over the mountain, but today, Sideburn beckoned me. I lapped it three times and each run was just as awesome as the last.
Kat Murphy, Steamboat Straighttalker, captured the day beautifully: "We have received a heaping helping of "Stellar Dendrites" the technical name for "Champagne Powder. Call it what you will, this is the best day of the ski season so far!"
"Years from now when we're sitting around reminiscing on a Summer day someone will say, "Remember Christmas Day 2007?" Everyone in the room will nod their heads and smile from ear to ear!"

No comments: